Thursday, February 20, 2020

The Call of the Wild by Jack London

Since my son and I are going tomorrow to see the new Harrison Ford movie version of Call of the Wild I decided to should probably read it. It is one of a too long list of classics that we are told we should read but I haven't yet. The edition I picked up at work also contains White Fang (originally published in 1906, 3 years after Call of the Wild) and at some point I will pick this up and read that too, maybe.

It clocks in at 83 pages so it didn't more than a sitting to read. It is clear from reading this that London has a real love of his subject matter. The environment is as much a part of the story as the characters who inhabit the tale. The story is told from the POV of Buck and I think this just might be the first time I read a book where the protagonist is a dog. My heart ached for Buck and the other members of his sled team when they landed with Charles, Hal, and Mercedes. As if being in a place where it was so cold and dangerous wasn't bad enough these poor pups end up with this group of clueless fools.

Later when Buck meets Thornton and learns to really love I felt so happy for him...but as is the way of life, there are ups and happy, and there are downs and heartbreak. I am glad I read this before going to the movie, I try to be a read before watching girl whenever possible. And I am glad I added to my obligatory classics list.

(Finished February 20, 2020)

No comments:

Post a Comment