Friday, January 8, 2021

On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century by Timothy Snyder

 I have seen this little (it is small in size) book at work and had been curious but never picked it up. But with all that's been happening the last 4 years, and the way it has become worse since the 2020 election outcome (FYI Biden won fair and square), and then came to the moment we all witnessed at the US Capital building this week (Wednesday January 6, 2021)...then last night (January 7, 2021) Rachel Maddow had Timothy Snyder on her show last night, the time felt right...important and needed...so I ran out to my B&N this morning when we opened (it is my day off) and I grabbed a copy for me and one for my son. 


And I read it in one sitting. it clocks in at 126 pages. 

Wow, this is was something....Snyder wrote this in 2017 and so many of the lessons are more relevant now than back when published..and unless people begin to open their eyes and learn these lessons history will be prologue. 

I found this little book to be huge and important and highly recommend it. 

The format is the 20 lessons followed by historic explanation and suggestions for putting them into practice as well as what can happen or has happened when these lessons were ignored. 

Here is a listing of the lessons:

1. Do not obey in advance. 

2. Defend Institutions.

3. Beware the one-party state.

4. Take responsibility for the face of the world. 

5. Remember professional ethics. 

6. Be wary of paramilitaries. 

7. Be reflective if you must be armed. 

8. Stand out. 

9. Be kind to our language. 

10. Believe in truth. 

11. Investigate. 

12. Make eye contact and small talk. 

13. Practice corporeal politics. 

14. Establish a private life. 

15. Contribute to good choices. 

16. Learn from peers in other countries. 

17. Listen for dangerous words. 

18. Be calm when the unthinkable arrives. 

19. Be a patriot. 

20. Be as courageous as you can.



So read a book, participate, check facts, subscribe to legit print news sources (even if you read them online), use your head, ask questions, speak truth to power....

My friend and coworker Kyle suggests I read How Democracies Die and I am going to read it and I'll let you know when I do. 

(Finished January 8, 2021)



No comments:

Post a Comment