Sunday, January 3, 2021

A ​Sky Beyond the Storm (An Ember in the Ashes #4) by Sabaa Tahir

 What a ride this has been. This is ABSOLUTELY one of my favorite series ever!!

The journey began in 2015 and now it has ended and I have so many feelings. 

If you want to go back and read my thoughts you can do that here: An Ember in the Ashes, A Torch Against the Night,  and A Reaper at the Gates


I am not going to spoil this book in my review but if you haven't read the others I may reference things you haven't learned yet. No apologies. Go read them then come back. 


The battle for the world's survival wouldn't be an overstatement about what is happening here. 


The forces of Keris and The Nightbringer are now one and the same, but are their goals? The havoc and death they spread are brutal and no one is safe. His plan begins to unfold and it wasn't what I expected. And it wasn't what others expected either. Will they act before it is too late? I can't tell you but the action and tension are lovely and painful. 


The Blood Shrike is forever changed by her journey to this point. Will the people she has surrounded herself with and allowed in to her heart change her for the better and make her stronger or will love make her weak? 


Who is the "Lovey" the ghost in The Waiting Place is looking for? 


Is reconciliation among people who has been at odds for so long possible? Will there be anyone to reconcile when The Nightbringer is done with the world? Who is Rehmat? Quin is badass and I love him.  Keris makes my skin crawl. Harper is just the brother Elias needed but they didn't get to be together as children and that is a shame. He is a great character. Darin is another example of what a brother should be, and it is impossible to not love him. Maime Rila teaches a valuable lesson on family. And that really is a theme of this series, the family you make is the family you need. 

So much action and pain and love. Sabaa is a genius. 

I won't lie, the end surprised me. But damn if I didn't love it!!! 

One thing for sure, the truth of life is that love and pain don't exist in a vacuum and that is true in the Embers world too. They can and do often walk hand in hand and the line gets blurred. 


I know this feels vague and so like it isn't much. But I really don't want to spoil. 

I will just say I wasn't disappointed and the book hangover after a great series has taken hold. 


(Finished January 3, 2021)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment