Friday, April 30, 2021

Love from A to Z by S.K. Ali

 I had seen this book at work and was thinking it looked like a good one, then I saw a fellow bookstagramer saying how much she loved it, how much she loved the story and how wonderful and respectful and awesome the Muslim representation is in the story. I believe that if you aren't of the group that is being represented it isn't for you to judge the representation and that when someone who is of that groups tells you it is good or bad you should believe them. Since I am always seeing stories with good representation as part of my desire to learn more and understand more as I truly want to be a good ally and of course I am always looking for a good story I decided to check this one out. 

And I am so glad I did!!! What an amazing story, I loved it so much. I love Adam and his dad and sister. Adam has the kind of outlook on life that tries to see the good, the marvel, in each day. His mom died and he misses her and hurts over it and over something else that has happened or is happening. But she still tries to hold on to his sense of awe and wonder for the world around him. 


As much as I love Adam, I love Zayneb even more. She is brave and loving and angry and sad and so alive and complex and amazing. I love when a writer is able to bring a character to life so much so that you can feel them, really get a sense that they are a person and not just ink on a page. And that is what Zayneb is. She has been treated so badly by people, sometimes in overt ways and sometimes in ore subtle ways too, but it has sparked a fire in her. It all stems from her choice to wear hijab, and how Muslim it makes her appear. She is treated horribly by a teacher, by a stranger on a plane and at a swimming pool, and she doesn't go into details, but she makes it clear that is happens often. 

And she is near about at her breaking point. Then she meets Adam. 

Their story is one of love. Love of family, love of life and friends, love of God and a strong faith. 


This was just what my soul needed, but it is also what my bookseller heart needed, because I now know I can safely suggest this to the teens that come into my workplace and ask for romance that isn't all sex and drinking and whatnot. And for those who ask if we have books with Muslim representation. 


(Finished April 30, 2021)

No comments:

Post a Comment