Saturday, April 10, 2021

Rule of Wolves (King of Scars #2) by Leigh Bardugo

 Book 2 in the King of Scars duology and part of the larger Grishaverse but I suspect you may know this. If you haven't read these books yet my suggested order of reading is:

Shadow and Bone

Siege and Storm

Ruin and Rising 

Six of Crows

Crooked Kingdom

King of Scars


***note: you can choose to read the Crows duology first, some people do, I just liked the context Shadow & Bone give for the story that is told in Crows***


I'm really having a hard time talking about this book without making reference to King of Scars so if you haven't read it yet then after this you will want to skip the rest of this review: I loved this book. I was heartbroken over a certain part, thrilled about some returns, loved the depth of the characters that have developed over the course of all the books and paid off here, and I absolutely believe there will be more books in the Grishaverse. Continue reading at your own risk, while I won't spoil this book you may feel spoiled for past bits if you haven't read them...I mean it, I won't be offended if you come back later...


When we met Hanne in King of Scars I really loved her right away. Nina was already a character I was attached to and I immediately began shipping them. I was so glad to spend time with them here and get to pine over them, want them to fall for each other. They are, I was going to say my favorites, but then I think about Zoya and think maybe she is my favorite, but then I think about Genya....you get where I am going right? I just can't choose..I love this world, and these characters all so much. 


Ravka is in a really tough place, running out of money and allies. The Fjerdians are hellbent on wiping them off the map, the attempt on Nikolai's life that cost Isaak his has lasting consequences and brings new characters and intrigues into play. There is so much to love here, but I think my favorite part of this is the parade of old friends who come back for this finale that isn't a finale at all. 

But I think this line by someone you wouldn't expect it from is the truth this story is built on:

"This is what love does. In the stories, love healed your wounds, fixed what was broken, allowed you to go on. But love wasn’t a spell, some kind of benediction to be whispered, a balm or a cure-all. It was a single, fragile thread, which grew stronger through connection, through shared hardship and trust."

All of what has happened before now has led us to this. The realization that connections are good, that love is a strength and not a weakness. 

I won't be at all sorry to come back to the Grishaverse and really hope there is a lot more coming. 


(Finished April 10, 2021)



No comments:

Post a Comment