Saturday, January 25, 2020

Crooked Kingdom (The Six of Crows Duology #2) by Leigh Bardugo

If I hadn't got sick, lost a lot of sleep, had two teeth pulled and just been really off my game I would have finished this much quicker. It was a really good follow-up to Six of Crows. And following the advice I was given to read The Shadow and Bone trilogy (Shadow and BoneSiege and StormRuin and Risingfirst was the right move. Some of the references to events and people from that part of the Grisha story were easier to follow by doing it that way.

I was devastated by one part, intrigued to watch all the schemes play out, and liked that there was no miraculous making of one character into some shiny hero. It is much more interesting when a story stays in that moral gray area and a character feels human, not all good or bad but capable of being rotten.
If I had to pick a favorite character I am not sure I could, but maybe Nina, or Inej, or maybe Mattias...or maybe....but I loved the interplay between Wylan and Jesper. Something they both felt was a weakness in themselves was made strong by the presence of the other.

Nina and Mattias and the evolution of how they viewed each other was beautiful. And Inej's surprise at the end was perfect.



This was a slower burn than Shadow & Bone but no less enjoyable. Now I think I will have to get my hands on King of Scars.

(Finished January 25, 2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment