Monday, January 6, 2020

Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy #1) by Leigh Bardugo

My first experience with Leigh Bardugo was her first adult book Ninth House. I had an ARC from work and it was the November Barnes & Noble bookclub book and I am the group leader for that. While at Leaky Con people were stopping me to tell me they were dying to read it and that if I hadn't (and I hadn't) I should read her other work. Then my friend Kelly told me I should read The Grisha Trilogy (aka Shadow and Bone Trilogy) first then move on to Six of Crows so that is what I am doing.  And I am so glad I did. I wasn't disappointed.

Sometimes when a book is the start of a series and has the burden of world building and character creation it can make for a clunky or slow read. That wasn't the case here. From the first page I was sucked in and wanted to know more about Alina. When she meets The Darkling my spider sense tingled but I wanted her to be happy. When she finds her buried memory I sighed and felt for her. I really liked her. She doesn't come across as a dumb girl in need of rescue, a pet peeve of mine, but rather is aware of her limitations and begins to learn how she can compensate for them or conquer them.

I hope we get more of her backstory in the remainder of the story. I hope she continues to grow and learn. And I hope she is victorious.

I would have finished this sooner if I wasn't working and doing other things that kept me from my book, like being a mom and sleeping, you know, the things that seem to get between a girl and her reading time. I wouldn't trade my other activities for anything but I am also fully aware of the tug a books have on me and the desire to be able to be curled up with my dog and current book and not have to do anything else...You know the struggle and it is real.

(Finished January 6, 2020)

No comments:

Post a Comment