Friday, January 10, 2020

Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy #3) by Leigh Bardugo

First was Shadow and Bone then came Siege and Storm and rounding it out is this stunning conclusion.


In less capable hands this might have been a "typical" fairytale. But the complexity of the characters, the willingness to embrace the truth that there is a blurred line between good and evil, to acknowledge that power is tempting and giving it up is a loss that it's ok to mourn, it is just all so beautifully woven together. I don't want to drop any huge spoilers or ruin any twists and surprises so I will just say that there are some. There is a reveal that I didn't see coming but then when it did it made perfect sense. Happy endings aren't always the way we expect them and it makes them better when they are laced with sadness and other strong emotions. And I loved this trilogy so much!!! It was so worth the inevitable book hangover I am feeling.


Side note: I added this book to my LGBTQ shelf on Goodreads because there is a same sex couple that forms in this book and it isn't made a huge deal, it is just presented as two people who feel a connection and fall for each other and I wanted to acknowledge that.

(Finished January 10, 2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment