Wednesday, July 17, 2013

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

I read this for the July pick for bookclub. It was the first Agatha Christie I've read. I was a bit excited to read it. I like mysteries and Agatha Christie was in an episode of Doctor Who.

There are two things I want to talk about for this book.

First, only a few pages in I got the impression she might be antisemitic. I get that the book was written in and takes place in the 30's so it wouldn't unusual to have a book with antisemitic characters but this was different. It didn't add to the story, it was not needed to give an impression that without the  lines that jumped out at me would have taken away from the story. So being the nerd I am I put the book down and did some research and yes she was. This put me off a bit but I finished the book.

So the second thing to discuss is the story itself. It wasn't bad. I never suspected the who or the how so that was a plus. I like mysteries that stump me or where I get it wrong. It was quite a twist and the reveal was cleverly done.

(finished July 17, 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment