Thursday, December 27, 2018

Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass #1) by Sarah J. Maas

There is something delicious about a book that causes so much tension that you are torn between the need to pause and catch your breath and the need to read on and see what happens as soon as possible. Throne of Glass is one of those books.

I decided to give this series a try because it's just what I needed, ANOTHER series to obsess over...ok not really, it may very well be the last thing I need, but I jumped in anyway. I did because leading up to Christmas there was a half-price sale at Barnes and Noble (where I happen to work) on all works by 15 YA authors. Maas was one of them and I read the back and it sounded like a good read so I bought books 1 and 2. I was hooked by the bottom of page 1. And then I found out my new friend and coworker Rachel loves the series. And I found out some of my other friends also love it. I went back the next night when the sale began again and got books 3 and 4.

Celaena is an unlikely assassin. She has been trained since childhood to be a coldblooded killer. She has killed, and done it well, but she isn't what you would expect. She isn't heartless. She isn't dead inside. And that makes her so complex and human.

She has a reputation as the best at what she does. And she was. But at some point, by someone, she was betrayed, caught, and sent to the salt mines to be a slave/prisoner. When the Crown Prince shows up and offers her a chance at freedom she takes it and it changes her life, his life, and the life of the Captain of the Guard's too. What else and who else will it change? There are many more books ahead where I am sure I will learn the answer to that. I also hope to learn the answer to who betrayed her.

What I also hope:

  • Duke Perrington gets his in a lovely and gruesome way. 
  • Same for the King. 
  • Nehemia sticks around for a long time. 
  • The Dorian-Chaol-Celaena friendship/relationship is treated in away that is done smartly and is respectful of the strength of all three characters. 
  • Elena makes more appearances. 
(Finished December 27, 2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment