Wednesday, July 17, 2019

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles

Until the moment I was done I didn't realize how much I loved this. I mean, I knew I was enjoying it...but when it was done I realized I loved it and was sad to say goodbye to the Count.

A Gentleman in Moscow is one of those quiet reads, no horror, no supernatural twists, no magic, just people and life and time....Like quiet movies, the kids without car chases and explosions, where you really have to watch the movie to get the story, this is the book form, it is a slow burn that gets under your skin and into your heart.

Count Alexander Rostov spend decades in the hotel in Moscow where he lives after being sentenced to "house arrest" and as the years pass people come and go and life outside continues and Alexander observes and lives a very full life even as his physical space becomes small...Alexander wants to be a man of purpose and I would say he certainly becomes such. There is some intrigue as the world goes to war, the cold war begins, and the story of how Alexander even ended up in the predicament he finds himself in unfolds. And there is romance and love and the creation of a family where one finds themself planted...just a lovely and quiet story...

Towles writes beautifully and I totally enjoyed my time with Alexander and Sasha and the rest of the inhabitants of the Metropol.

(Finished July 17, 2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment