Monday, December 28, 2020

Concrete Rose by Angie Thomas

 I read and LOVED The Hate U Give. It was evident that Anger Thomas was an incredible writer who could spin a tale that was important, needed, well told, and entertaining. I was excited to see what else she would give to the world of readers. She then followed it up with On The Come Up, which while it took place in the same community as The Hate U Give, was its very own story and was also powerful and amazing. Angie clearly wasn't a "one hit wonder."


Coming in January 2021 is the next outing, Concrete Rose. And yes this a Tupac reference too. I got to read it early because as a bookseller our store gets ARCs. 

Short review: I WILL BE TELLING EVERY CUSTOMER I TALK TO ABOUT THIS BOOK!!


Longer review:

This is the story of Star's father, Maverick. He is what some think isn't a real thing, a young Black father who sticks around and is an active, loving, and present father. 

His story isn't easy, gang activity, his father's crimes that have him in prison, mistakes and bad choices, all make him the man we met in The Hate U Give. He is strong and learns that his fears and tears are what make him strong and not the "slinging on the side" and following the path of those who are active in the drug and gang activity. He is mentored by Mr. Wyatt, the man who owns the neighborhood store and gives Mav a job and a love of gardening. 

The most powerful point, a section that stayed with me, was when Mav is told my Mr. Wyatt that "one of the biggest lies ever told is that Black men don't feel emotions. Guess it's easier to not see us as human when you think we're heartless. Fact of the matter is, we feel things. Hurt, pain, sadness, all of it. We got a right to show them feelings as much as anybody else." And this is so important to take in. 

I think that white people who continue to carry on in racist ways, who aren't willing to look within and work on their biases this is something they buy into, that denying the feelings of people makes it easier to dismiss them and disregard their rights, by dehumanizing. I think it is why white officers find it ok to mistreat Black people. To murder them even...because they take away the humanity and don't see people, mothers or fathers, sons or daughters, siblings, when they target people for doing anything while Black. 


But it is not right. And I add this work to my antiracist reading list and will take this to heart as I daily work on being antiracist, on being willing to do the work. This was a powerful work even as it was a gripping and entertaining story. I loved Mav and Lisa. I loved Dre. And Faye and Moe!!! LOVE!!!


I am so excited for this book to be readily available!


(Finished December 27, 2020)

No comments:

Post a Comment