Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral by Kris Radish

 I have to be honest, I only read this because my manager at the Barnes and Noble where I work kept talking about it and getting customers excited about it. So I have in to my curiosity and got a copy to read to get me over the book-hangover I knew was going to be the case after I finished The Mask Falling. I figured this would help me get ready for my next fantasy read or non-fiction...what ever I choose next...


Well this turned out to be so much more than I could have hoped for. This was an incredible read. It was heartbreaking and heart healing...It was a celebration of love and women and friendship and the building of family by love and not blood...It was a not like anything I have ever read or thought I would love, but it also reminded me a little of the YaYa Sisterhood. 


Annie Freeman died. And she left behind some extraordinary women who she loved and who loved her so very much. To help them with the loss she knew they would feel as they tried to mourn and move on with living she planned a traveling funeral and sent them on the adventure of their lives, the adventure of her death, as a way to connect them with each other and themselves. She had one last thing she needed them to know and this was how she was going to teach it to them...


And so they go. And what happens is sad, and lovely, funny, and devastating, miraculous and ordinary...it was a matter of life and death...And it was INCREDIBLE. 


Katherine, Jill, Laura, Rebecca, and Marie are forever bound to each other through their love of Annie and her love of them but beside that connection they don't all really know each other. They go to places Annie had some sort of life event that she wanted to know and along they way they find the friend they lost and they find each other and learn to love and heal and let go and hold on...


The snarky, almost irreverent writing style was amazing and everything I wanted but didn't know I wanted and it was everything I needed and didn't know I needed...I am going to take a lesson from this book and write a note in it and send it on to someone, an important woman in my life, and ask them to keep it going...


Thank you Carol Jean for pushing this title...and thank you Kris Radish for writing it. 


(Finished February 2, 2021)

No comments:

Post a Comment