Thursday, February 11, 2021

Lore by Alexandra Bracken

 I am not new to Alexandra's writing having previously read the first three books in The Darkest Minds Series (The Darkest Minds, Never FadeNever Fade, In the Afterlight) as well as the Young Reader book The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding. So I was pretty sure that I would like Lore when it arrived as my OwlCrate book. As someone isn't overly familiar with Greek Mythology (I never even read Percy Jackson) I was a little worried I wouldn't be able to follow the story or wouldn't like it. But since I had it, I love retellings, it was the YA bookclub pick at work (B&N), and it takes place in my hometown and favorite city in the world, NYC I began reading. 


And what I didn't expect was that I would love it!!! I didn't feel lost though I am guessing someone with a more complete knowledge of Greek Mythology may have got more from the story. The characters are so well done and gripping. Lore is complicated and has a dark secret filled with guilt she carries. And that is the spark that sets this story in motion. Her secret slowly unravels as every so often there are chapters that take place 7 years earlier than the current time of the story. 


The story here that is that every 7 years the Gods & Goddesses, old and reborn, who had fallen out with Zeus, and the families of their bloodlines, have a hunt, called the Agon. There are mortal hunters and the gods and goddesses. If a mortal deals a god/goddess a killing blow they get the powers and become a reborn version of that god/goddess. The hunters are trying to catch  the gods/goddesses and kill each other. Each family has a leader who would like to be the one to deal the killing blow and bring glory to their bloodline. 


Lore is the last of hers and she just wants to be free. Her best friend is Miles, a mortal who doesn't know about this part of Lore's life and past until it shows up bleeding on their doorstep. He is a darling, brave, queer, smart, wonderful character and my only complaint is that we don't get enough of him. Rounding out the main human cast is Van who spent some time in childhood with Lore and the person they both adore, Cas, who is somehow a god now but can't remember how it happened. 


The action is well done, the story is filled with love and pain and is just a really well done tale. I want to say more but there are some great twists and threads it is better to let you discover. So read this book, you won't be sorry. 

***I put this on my Goodreads LGBTQ list because there are two characters closely tied to the main character who are Gay young men and it is treated beautifully. It isn't a Queer story but has positive depictions of queer characters***

(Finished February 11, 2021) 

No comments:

Post a Comment