Thursday, February 18, 2021

The Midnight Library by Matt Haig

 TW: suicide is a very large part of this story


I grabbed this book so many people came into work asking for it and then I started to see buzz about it in the B&N bookseller group I am in. I went into it not really knowing what it was about, only that people were loving it. I have never read anything by Matt Haig before but I will be seek out more now. 

Nora is very unhappy. Her life feels like it is more than she can stand. She is tired. She is sad. She is just ready to stop. And so she decides to. But between life and death she finds the miracle of living and what that really means. She learns, as we learn along with her, that our choices are infinite but we are still us, and each choice we make or don't make sends ripples into the universe. Is the grass always greener? Is being rich or having it all really all it is cracked up to be? What does it mean to dream? And most importantly what does it mean to live....

I was moved and didn't think a book that starts with dying would end up being about life...all of it, easy and not so much, messy and imperfect maybe, but beautiful....

"We don't have to do everything in order to be everything because we are already infinite. While we are sliced we always contain a future of multifarious possibility." "...the same messy life seems full of hope. Potential. The impossible, I suppose, happens via living."


(Finished February 18, 2021)

No comments:

Post a Comment