Sunday, May 23, 2021

The Blacktongue Thief (Blacktongue #1) by Christopher Buehlman

 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5⭐️ (I think this hovers for me between 3.5 & 4 stars but I gave it the 4 because it’s clever and so sarcastic that I appreciated it.)


If you’ve ever read The Name of The Wind this will bring that to mind. I liked Rothfuss more but this was in that same style of story telling, full of snarky wit and humor with its heart buried a little. You can definitely tell Buehlamn was influenced by Rothfuss and he says as much in the acknowledgements. 


This story has so much in it, magic, thieves, giants, witches, a cat that maybe isn’t, a kraken, blood, sex, foul (amusingly so) language, irreverent humor, adventure...


I didn’t love it but I liked it a lot. I can understand why those who read fantasy outside of the YA/NA books would love it more than I did. It was absolutely well done.


(Finished May 23, 2021)

No comments:

Post a Comment