Monday, May 10, 2021

A Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic #2) by V.E. Schwab

Book 1: A Darker Shade of Magic  


⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

At first I was going to say 4⭐️ but this was one that got under my skin and into my heart over the course of it. I was at times frustrated with Lila’s stubborn refusal to listen to anyone but by the last page it all wrapped up to make sense, I began to understand the front she put on and was pulling for her to find peace and rest, to stop running. 


The other part that had me wondering if I should go down a star was the tournament scenes. While it was a bit interesting it also had the feel of the Quidditch scenes for me, I was over it pretty quickly and just wanted to get to the scenes where the real action was, the reveals of more clues as to who/what Lila is, what will happen to/with Kell and Rhy, and the Alucard reveal (one I didn’t see coming). But luckily they didn’t drag on any longer. They aren’t bad, just made a pause I was anxious to get past. But there were some important clues/bits there so I can’t complain too much. 


Overall, while different than my now beloved Addie LaRue, I truly do love the way VE writes, the twists, the flow of language, the imagery, the feels. I’m only sorry I waited so long to read this installment, I finished A Darker Shade of Magic on March 27, 2019.


(Finished May 9, 2019)


No comments:

Post a Comment