Wednesday, March 27, 2019

A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic #1) by V.E. Schwab

An interesting start to a series. The world building was mind bending...Three different Londons, Grey where there is no magic, Red where magic thrives, and White where magic has been mostly drained away in a war...and there used to be Black London...what happened there isn't fully fleshed out in this book but what ever happened there was catastrophic....


Lila is a want to be pirate looking to find a better and more adventurous life...
Kell is from Red London and is one of the last full on magic folk who can travel between worlds...

Add in a set-up, a pair of royal siblings wanting to spread their rule beyond their world, a stone with some strange kind of power, and you have the beginnings of an adventure.

I am not sure where this is going, but it was a good ride and I will defiantly be back to see what happens to Lila, I quite liked her.

I hope to get to know her and Kell more because there wasn't a lot of background detail yet. That isn't a criticism, this wasn't an overly long book, clocking in at just under 400 pages so there wasn't a lot of room to go very deep yet. The last series I read was the Throne of Glass series and those were close to a 1000 pages each so there was more in each book and so this was a different type of journey is all I am getting at. I do want more because the pieces of their stories I have so far as left me wanting to learn more about them and figure out who they really are. And I want to know what the heck happened in Black London!!

(Finished March 27, 2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment