Monday, March 4, 2019

Uprooted by Naomi Novik

Oy Vey!! I started this book almost exactly a year ago (3/1/18)!!! I put it aside for reason I can't remember and then it got buried. Last night after I finished The Beautiful Struggle I was looking through my stacks to see what I wanted to read next and found this one with only about 80 pages left to read. So I figured I might as well. 

To be 100% honest, I don't remember every little detail, but I know I liked the story. 
Uprooted is a fairy tale about a land where something awful is in the wood and to keep the evil away the Wizard in the tower comes ever 10 years to take a young girl from the village. It is the price they willingly pay for the lives of the rest of the village. What happens to the girl he takes isn't known but she is let go before the next girl is chosen. What if anything he does doesn't really matter, the girls are not able to return home. 

When she reaches the age of the choosing she is part of Agnieszka is sure her best friend will be taken so is quite shocked when she is chosen instead. 

What follows is a story of courage, good vs. evil, love, loyalty, and of course magic. The mystery of what happens to the girl who is taken isn't what one might expect. The magic is bound in nature. And the evil is in the form of trees and comes from the heart of people who don't remember the right thing or end up remembering the wrong and how the evil takes root in the heart and grows, much like s ingle tree becomes a forest. 


(Finished March 4, 3019)



No comments:

Post a Comment