Sunday, June 30, 2019

Trans Mission: My Quest to a Beard by Alex Bertie

I tried to read more about the experiences of the "T" in LGBTQ because it isn't an area I am super informed about and I wanted to learn more about what it was like for people willing to educate and share their journey. The best way to learn is to hear from first voice story tellers.

By the end of this book I felt a kind of love for Alex. He was so open and willing to tell his story with the hopes of being helpful to both the parents and loved ones of Transgender folks and to young people beginning the coming out process and who might be wondering what is ahead for them in the transition process. Alex doesn't just give facts, he is open about what he knows and doesn't and how to best deal with what ever "it" is for the reader, how much to share and with who when is just one example.


Alex writes as if he is having a conversation with the reader, and it makes it easy to empathize with him, the only thing missing is a steaming cup of amazing coffee and a plate of cookies.

I learned a lot and found this a great way to end pride month.

(Finished June 29, 2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment