Saturday, August 24, 2019

Inland by Téa Obreht

I didn't love this one. I didn't hate it. I guess I was just meh about it. It just wasn't my sort of thing. The writing was fine, rather poetic in places, and I guess the story was ok. The story was told from two voices, Lurie and Nora, and they were on a course towards each other. She as her husband and two of her sons have gone missing and there is a drought and she is at home with their youngest son, her mother-in-law, and the husband's cousin. Lurie as he tells how he came to be on the road with a camel...yes a camel...Burke...and this all takes place in and around 1893.

There is some historical facts at the base of this...the US Army did try using camels as beasts of burden and the camp and men of the army that Lurie meets are all real people.

The struggle with thirst and feelings and being a pioneer of sorts that Nora tells ring true.

Again, it isn't that this is a bad book. It just wasn't for me. I had to read it because it is the next Barnes & Noble bookclub book and I am the discussion leader for the store I work in.
I freely admit I didn't feel a full grasp of the story. Also, I never felt an emotional investment in the characters which made it hard to get lost in the story.

If you read and liked The Tiger's Wife (I never read it and it wasn't on my want to read list) this might be of interest to you. I just prefer a different style of story/writing/book.

(Finished

No comments:

Post a Comment