Wednesday, August 21, 2019

The Magician (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel #2) by Michael Scott

After finishing The Alchemyst  I had to start book 2 right away. I wish I could go right on to book 3 but I have to read the September B&N bookclub pick, Inland by Téa Obreht, first. 

Sophie and Josh are back with their (maybe) friend Nicholas and Scathach. Perenelle is stuck as a captive on Alcatraz being guarded by a Sphinx, and the twins and Nicolas have met up with Joan of Arc. Sleazy Dr. Dee is back and is joined by another bad guy, Niccolò Machiavelli. Other elders are revealed and it is exciting. 

Josh is a brat in the Ron Weasley jealous of Harry Potter sort of way but Sophie is amazing and I love Scathach. I don't think Nicholas is the bad guy Josh thinks he is but I am sure, as with all people, and he is human even if he is immortal, he is more complex than being just good or bad. Some people are just bad, others are just plain good, but most people are more complicated. 

There is action, mythology, history, magic, friendship, danger...all the things a good story should have. So far this series is just what I need from time to time, a good story that isn't overly sexualized or with a romance story line because someone told some authors that sex sells. What sells is a good story and writing, sex and romance should be part of the story when needed but not just there to see extra books. I tell you that not because I am a prude (I am so far from one) but to assure you that if you are giving this book to a middle grade reader or an upper elementary age strong reader you don't have to worry about content that is age inappropriate. 

If you have a young person in your life who doesn't read much, but read Harry Potter or Percy Jackson they will probably like this series too. 

(Finished Aug. 21, 2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment