Monday, August 19, 2019

The Alchemyst (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel #1) by Michael Scott

Because I guess I am not reading near enough different series I went and started another.

I found this one I don't even know how long ago when it was on the Buy 2 Get 1 Free table at Barnes & Noble. I picked it up thinking I needed something to read before I have to start the next B&N Bookclub book and this seemed like a good read that also wouldn't take me long to read. But then life got in the way and events conspired against me...mainly my son was in a show and there was so much back and forth and volunteering, plus having to work, that I didn't get to spend as much uninterrupted time with Josh, Sophie, Nicholas, and Scathach as I would have liked and it took me longer to read then I would have liked...

The Alchemyst shouldn't be confused with The Alchemist by Coehlo. This is a story about the man who is part real person part myth. He was born in 1330 and his death was recorded as being in 1418 but when the tomb of Nicolas and his wife Perenelle was broken into it was found to be empty. Rumor had it that he had found a way to create the philosopher's stone and used it to keep him and Perenelle perpetually young, immortal, an in steady supply of money. So imagine if you will if it was the early 2000's and Nicholas was Nick and he owned a bookstore in California. And imagine he has a teenage employee who is one of a pair of twins who may be the twins in this important book that some other immortals who are quite evil come for and said twins and Nicholas meet a much older warrior who looks like a teenager but is 1000's of years old and they are on the run and trying to save themselves and the world...that is this story...and it is good and exciting and full of magic and danger....and while it is in the YA department I would say it is age appropriate for children, teens, and adults...

I will read the rest of the series for sure.

(Finished Aug. 19, 2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment