Saturday, October 5, 2019

Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars #1) by Elizabeth Lim

I got this in one of my OwlCrate Box (click on the link to check them out and give it a try, I LOVE THE BOXES) and just got around to reading it. It took me longer than I would have liked because of work and other commitments and being a bit under the weather, a headache that dragged and made reading hard. But I enjoyed the book. It is the start of a series of I am not sure how many books with book two, Unravel The Dusk, coming sometime in 2020.

In this part of the tale we meet Maia who is a very talented tailor in a world where only males are allowed to be master tailors. When the opportunity to help her family arrives she pretends to be a boy, her brother Keton, to try and become the Emperor's Master Tailor. All she has to do is make people believe she is a he, and beat out 11 other tailors who are men and older and more experienced.

The story that is weaved here is one of magic, romance, palace intrigue, Chinese culture, and adventure. It was one that grew on me over the course of reading and I love Maia and her desire to be and do good and help her family. And when she falls in love I want her to have a happy ending that includes love and a career.

I really liked Edan and the dynamic between him and Maia. He is an interesting character with a long history that I think isn't fulled revealed yet but I hope to learn more in the future. I felt sad for him at times and also admired him too.

I will read book 2 because I want to know where she ends up. And I need to know what Edan's fate is as well as a few other questions I have but can't say here because "spoilers"

(Finished October 4, 2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment