Wednesday, December 25, 2019

The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell

This was the B&N Bookclub pick for the January 7, 2020 group so I had to read it. The story sounded very interesting from the blurb on the dust jacket and so I was glad B&N picked it since it was not like most of the prior picks and I had never read anything Lisa Jewell before so I don't think I would have read it if it wasn't the pick. I may have at some point if it showed up on the paperback special deal table. so in that sense I am glad it was the While I didn't love, didn't have the overwhelming desire to stay up late into the night after long shifts at work over this busy holiday season, I didn't dislike it. It's a solid 3.5 or 4 star book.

I did figure out many of the elements of the who done it. And it was but it was but I did figure out most of the story. That keeps it from being a higher rated, 5 star book. But the tension of what happened in this house to these kids, the specifics of how the crime was committed, and the interesting back and forth of the story telling for the reveal was well done. I like the way she uses first person when she is telling Henry's side of things in the past and third person for the current day points of view. The voices of the three main characters telling us the story are consistent and distinct which I like. I don't like when an author does the multiple voice thing but you can't tell who is who. Jewell did this well and that is another major push into the higher rating.

Overall an interesting story and I am looking forward to talking with the book club participants about their thoughts.

(Finished December 25, 2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment