Friday, December 13, 2019

The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern

I own but have not read her other book, The Night Circus, but from what I have heard from others who didn't like that one they still loved this one. I read this because Rachel put it in my locker at work with a note that said "This book is so amazing, I bought it!" That's big because one of the perks of our job is being able to borrow hard cover books.

I started this as soon as I finished Call Down The Hawk, and it was the only thing I think that could have eased me from that world. The Starless Sea clock in at just under 500 pages. About 320 pages in I was starting to dread returning the book to Rachel, of not having this book in my possession, so I went out and purchased my own copy.

It is truly beautiful and amazing. It is a twisty tale of a story buried in a story buried in a story. It is a lovely ode to stories both told and written. It goes from the first had account of Zachary Ezra Rawlins to stories in other books and back. I wish I could tell you more but there is something that feels important about letting you discover it all for yourself when you read it for the first time. Yes first time as in there will be more time after. This is one you will want to go back to and reread when you need it, a good story that is full of love and adventure and beautiful imagery (cat size bees excluded).   

I love this fairytale. I love everything about it. The only complaint I have is that it ended.

(Finished December 13, 2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment