Sunday, June 14, 2020

Odd One Out by Nic Stone

I have so many feels about this book.

I first discovered Nic Stone when I read Dear Martin. And it was so powerful and I love Nic's writing.

I admit I have had this one for awhile but I can say that about way too many books because I can't help myself and keep adding to my TBR and the struggle is real on what to pick next each time I finish a book.

But I finally jumped in. Odd One Out was my Pride-2020 read #3.

The story of Cooper, Jupiter, and Rae is told in three sections, each from the perspective of one of the teens.
Jupiter and Cooper have been best friends since the day Copper moved in next door to Jupiter when he was 7. She lives with her dads and he with his mom. Cooper's dad died just before he moved in.
The two families have melded together and created one family and it is really clear how much they all love each other.
Cooper identifies as a straight male.
Jupiter identifies as lesbian.

Rae is the new girl, her dad works at the same hospital as Coop's mom and this connection brings her and her dad into the family group. She is a people pleaser and outwardly always seems so happy. She joins the Coop-Jupe friendship and they three really become a trio.

Two minor characters, minor only in their role as secondary and not because they are small and insignificant are Britain and Golly, Coops teammates and best male friends.

At the start of the story we learn Coop is secretly in love with Jupe. Well secretly to everyone outside Coop, Britain, and Golly. They are trying to help Coop move on since they all know she won't ever be his girlfriend.

Things get messy when Jupiter and Coop begin to be attracted to Rae and Rae begins to have feels for Coop and Jupe. This confuses her because up until this she identified as heterosexual.

So now why all my feels?
I don't want to spoil you so I am going to be vague.
Life is messy, that is a given. And when you are trying to figure out your label or if you even want one it can be so much more complicated. When you think you fit in one box and then find out you actually don't fit in a binary box, as a teen you have built your entire reputation and idea of self around that label, realizing it isn't so simple can be really painful. And as we all know when we are hurting and confused we may not always make the best choices. And those choices can hurt both us and others. What we do when that happens is what reflects on our character and not the mistake itself.
What I think (and this is my take, Nic may have had something else in mind, and you may takeaway something else) is, my main takeaway, is love and growing up is hard, damn hard, and it is ok to learn and grow and change you ideas of who you are, your love is yours to give and no one can tell you who to love when. Own your label, or choose not to have one, do what makes you feel safe and complete. And don't worry if that grows and shifts.

(Finished June 14, 2020)

No comments:

Post a Comment