Sunday, June 21, 2020

Out Now: Queer We Go Again! by Multiple Authors

Out Now: Queer We Go Again! was my Pride-2020 read #5

I was so excited when this was announced for publication. I am so glad it coincided with my annual Pride Read. And I was so excited to see some of my favorite authors (I'll read anything they write) had contributed stories, Caleb Roehrig, Mark Oshiro, and Julian Winters.

This book is a collection of short stories and I loved the experience. These stories are about a piece of the journey a young person is on to be true to themselves, learn who they are, find a safe place, find love, have adventure, and even the undead and aliens. There really is something for everyone and you should get this book into the hands of all the Queer teens you know and all the adults who love them and want to support them. And of course anyone who loves a good story.

A little about the collection, I am not going to review all 17 stories individually, but I will say that while I liked some better than others there wasn't a single one I didn't like, but I do want to share a few highlights.

Of course it will come as no surprise to anyone who has been paying attention that Caleb's story starts with the word VAMPIRE. What Happens in the Closet is a crazy bloody fun vampire romp but it also a coming out story, unlike any you've ever read before.

 Mark and Julian didn't disappoint either and their entries confirmed their place as "if they write it I am there for it" authors.

Mark writes a painfully beautiful story about two young men trying to find love and struggling with body image. I appreciate this story so much, it needs to be known that it isn't a "girl thing" to struggle with feeling good in your body or comfortable with your size and shape, it is a human thing and it happens to boys too.

Julian's story was wonderful too. He writes about Luke Stone and his desire to ask a boy to the winter formal. The backdrop of struggle is his desire to be a good son to the dad he loves so much and is so grateful for. But he doesn't know how to or who to ask and worries about what his dad will think about him being gay. It is the kind of loving and compassionate story Julian's readers have come to expect from him and he hasn't let us down.


But I really want to tell you about two stories that stole my heart and introduced me to authors I hadn't read before. And has added two new people to my above mentioned list.

First there is Seditious Teapots by Katherine Locke. I loved the whole idea of the teapots and the wordplay. But this story is so much more. It is the most honest writing about the pain of trying to find out who you are for yourself regardless of what the world says you are.

Then there was Star-Crossed in DC by Jessica Verdi. This one had be begging to know what happened to Savannah after she makes her decision to take a stand. Literally since I tweeted my please to Jessica!! The story is on the surface, as the title implies, about star-crossed love interests. Savannah is the child of the current president and Emily is the daughter of the rival for the office. But it is so much more. It is a story about finding your voice and the strength to use it even when it is so very difficult and scary.


I really enjoyed the time I spent in this book and I think you will too.

(Finished June 21, 2020)

No comments:

Post a Comment