Friday, June 26, 2020

Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston

Red, White & Royal Blue was my Pride-2020 read #6.

At work I was intrigued by this one from the moment it showed up in the store. With just the blurb inside the dust jacket to go on I was able to sell many copies of this. I put it in the hands of people wanting a great romance, people wanting specifically a m/m romance, and people wanting an LGBTQ romance without preference to the gender. All he feedback I got after was how much they loved it. Every. One. I. Sold. No one ever came back and said they didn't like it. Yet my TBR was so out (is so) out of control and I don't often want to read romance novels, I mean I don't mind romance in my stories, but I don't often seek out a romance novel. But when I wanted to cancel my BOTM and I saw this was available I used one of my remaining credits for it, I figured it would go well with my annual Pride Read-athon.


I LOVED THIS STORY!! I feel really hard for Alex and Henry. I loved their use of historical letters. I loved how much they each had these broken places the other could soothe but didn't try to own or "fix". It was a healthy understanding of loving a person as they really are and not trying to make them into you or what you want them to be, I loved Alex's sister and their best friend Nora and I loved Henry's sister Bea.

Red, White & Royal Blue is part political caper, part family drama, part buddy story, and all romance. I laughed, I cried, I fell in love. And you will too!!!

I was thinking before reading it that I was kind of surprised it wasn't a YA Romance, but after reading it I wanted to let you know why incase age appropriate content is something you have concerns over. There aren't graphic sex scenes but they bump right up to that edge which for younger teens might not be where they are maturity wise. So keep that in mind if you are getting this or sharing it with a young person. I would say 16+ maybe....



(Finished June 25, 2020)

No comments:

Post a Comment