Friday, September 6, 2019

Black Wings Beating (Skybound #1) by Alex London

My son saw this book at Barnes & Noble while shopping for my Hanukkah and thought I'd like it. Unfortunately it got buried in my TBR piles but it waited patiently and finally found its way into my hands for reading, I went and grabbed it when I saw book 2 had been released. And I wish I hadn't waited so long! This was such a good start to a new series.

In this world there are three kinds of people:
Uztari who I guess you could call the common folks, though there is a sort of royalty running things from the Sky Castle. The majority of the story centers around the Six Villages where our main characters, twins Kylee and Brysen live. Life centers around birds. Birds are used in hunting, trade, and even entertainment.

Altari a kind of religious fanatical group who believe it is sinful of people to training birds of prey.

Kartami another kind of religious fanatical group but they want to clear the skies because they believe it is the birds who are sinful.

Kylee and Brysen grew up with a terribly brutal dad who took most of his abusiveness out on Brysen.

On a hunt for the legendary Ghost Eagle he dies leaving the twins safer but having to fully fend for themselves and having inherited not only their fathers bird training business but his debt too. As they are finally so close to paying it off and Kylee being so close to the freedom she wants a choice becomes necessary. The boy Brysen loves has his life threatened for not paying a debt by keeping his promise to catch the Ghost Eagle. This starts a journey the twins go on and it becomes more than a hunt for a bird. It becomes a journey of self-discovery and of finding their way back to each other. It is also the world building and build up of the coming war that they find themselves right in the thick of.

This was a thrilling story, a family tragedy, a story filled with deception and betrayal, with bravery and love, and a great start to a series.


(Finished Sept. 5, 2019)

I was so close to finished that I forced myself to stay up and finish. Then I crashed and waited until this morning (9/6/19) to write this post.


No comments:

Post a Comment