Wednesday, September 18, 2019

The Mime Order (The Bone Season #2) by Samantha Shannon

As soon as I finished The Bone Season I had to start book 2. As I mentioned in my post about book 1 it took me some time to fall in hard for this story but once I did I was hooked. The Mime Order didn't disappoint at all. It grabbed me from the first page and picked up right where The Bone Season left off. 

It was a wild ride. Paige was faced with some hard choices and she faces them with courage and heart even when she struggles and has to take on more than she feels like she can handle. She is on the trail of answers and the answers aren't what she  (or I) thought they would be. Warden is back and thank goodness because I really like him. He knows he has made some terrible mistakes and wasn't as strong as he should have been and so while he did what he thought the best in a  bad situation he freely admits and accepts the consequences of the choices he made, like keeping Paige instead of letting her go. 

There is a feel of political and societal commentary going on in the subtext of the story, sometimes overtly so. The way people are classified but he magic/powers they have and the hierarchy this categorization places them in is a parallel between current issues around inequality/discrimination around race/religious/gender/sexuality etc. There is othering of those who are perceived to be less because of their powers or lack there of, there is the segregation or a group because they are thought to be the least of the least...it is parable of sorts I would say....


The use of storytelling in the story is interesting. The thought being that even fairytales start with some lesson or grain of truth you want to impart. But the dangers of unchecked writing and how it can be used to further a nefarious agenda is part of the story too (Jax's pamphlet being the base of the way clairvoyants are ranked). 

And ok there is some romance too. But it doesn't feel sloppy or overly played up at the expense of character development. 

I am so anxious to get to book 3....

(Finished September 18, 2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment