Friday, September 20, 2019

How to Be Remy Cameron by Julian Winters

I read and loved Running With Lions so when I found out that Julian Winters had another book coming out I was so excited and waited (not) so patiently for it. I had to order it and as soon as it came into the store where I work (as you know by now I work at a Barnes & Noble), finished the book I was reading and paused my read of the series it's part of to spend some time with the words of Julian and I am so glad I did. This is one I will reread and will suggest often.

I love Remy. Remy (Remington) is a 17 year old high school junior and he thinks he knows who he is. That is until he has to write an essay for his AP Lit class about who he is. Then he realizes a lot of how he sees himself is defined by labels, some of his own and some placed on him by others. He begins to struggle with figuring out who he really is and how to separate what he is from who he is.

He is black, gay, adopted, a big brother, a son, a friend, into music, has a great sense of his own style, an ex-boyfriend, dreams of being a writer....But is any of that who he is?

This is such a beautiful book!!! Remy learns a lesson we all need to learn no matter our age and one he realizes he will continue to learn as he grows and changes...labels don't make us, we make us with the choices we make, with the life we live and grow in...and while it isn't always easy, taking this step of his journey with him was amazing!!!


I loved all the references to 80's pop culture, I loved the vibe of the coffee house Remy and his friends frequent, I loved the relationship he has with his best friends Lucy and Rio. I love his bond with his amazing little sister and his parents.

I was so sad for him when he was feeling like he couldn't talk about all of the storms brewing in his heart and mind, but when he does, I cheered for him and was so glad his parents stayed as awesome as they seemed from the start.

Remy's friends aren't perfect and at times it feels like they aren't respecting his boundaries, but as their relationship becomes more clear and defined it isn't really so much a respecting or disrespecting of boundaries but a knowing each other so well and counting on each other that there is a coming around, one friend even doing something she thought she'd never...don't worry it isn't harmful, it is just a coming around to sometimes we go places with those we love because they need us to even tho it isn't what we would have planned to do....I know that is vague but you will see....

There is one scene at a party with Remy and a guy who is a real jerk and who says some ugly things that make Remy uncomfortable, but a friend comes to his side and he doesn't have to face it alone. On the second to last page this is addressed a little in the content warning, which I appreciated seeing.

Thank you for another awesome read Julian, anything you write I will read!!!

(Finished Sept. 20, 2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment