Friday, November 22, 2019

Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle #3) by Maggie Stiefvater

Third in The Raven Cycle, Blue Lily, Lily Blue picks up the story that started with The Raven Boys and The Dream Thieves. The character development across the three books is incredible. The tension is amazing and painful. My heart has ached more than once and I have been told it will happen more as I read the final book in this part of the story, The Raven King.

Some of what I can share without it being too close to spoilerish is that we do see a bit of Adam's dad again. There will be some answers about Greenmantle but not enough to yet know the truth and depth of this character. The bond between Blue, Gansey, Adam, and Ronan grows and is tested. 300 Fox Way still plays a central role in the life of the story and I still really want to live there, or at least be a welcome visitor who never has to leave.

There is a new character, one who brings to mind Helena Bonham Carter's onscreen portrayal of Bellatrix. A mad as a hatter yet somehow charming person named Gwenllian.

I will admit that I am absolutely shipping Ronan and Adam. I love Persephone!!! I don't particularly like Orla but she isn't around too much.

I can imagine how hard the wait must have been for people who read these books as they were published because the cliffhanger (cave hanger?) this ended on had me screaming and all I had to do was come home from parent pick-up at my son's school and write this post before starting the next (last!!) book.

Yes, I know there is a side series that begins with Call Down The Hawk, which I bought and will read soon enough (or not soon enough depending on how this ends), but the next book is the end of this part of the story and I must admit I am terrified for Gansey. I want a happy ending for Adam after all the abuse he lived with. I want Ronan to smile. And I want Blue to feel like she can have a kiss.

(Finished Nov. 22, 2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment