Wednesday, November 20, 2019

The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle #2) by Maggie Stiefvater

I finished this one at work yesterday and started book 3 yesterday afternoon but didn't have a chance to come and put my thoughts down until now. I'm reading The Raven Cycle at the insistence of my friend Rachel. I got hooked pretty quickly into The Raven Boys and the love of this series only got stronger while reading The Dream Thieves. I want to live at 300 Fox Way. I want to sit and read under Blue's Beech Tree. I want to spend time with Persephone. I want to bake cookies for Adam. I want to slap and then hug Ronan. And Gansey!! I want to tell him to be a kid for a little while, he is like a little old man trapped in a teenagers body and he is something!! But oh, Blue, how wonderful she is for a female character. She isn't entirely comfortable in her own skin quite yet but she wants to be because she knows there isn't anything wrong with her, she is different sure, but that is ok. And she is loved by her mother and all the inhabitants of Fox Way. 

The story in book 2 as in book 1 starts to cause tension that increases as you read and takes you to breathtaking ending and an overwhelming need to dive right into the next book. I feel so much for those who read these as published and had to wait between books!!

We learn more about The Gray Man. We learn more about Ronan and his "talent" and his mother. Kavinsky is still just really awful but we learn more about how awful. Each set of answers seems to raise more questions. And I am fully engaged and loving this series. I love that it is magic and fantasy but takes place in the here and now. I love that there are strong female characters and that there are boys who understand that boy will boys boys isn't an ok attitude and a license for bad behavior. I love the network of women who love and care for each other. I love that I feel while reading this. As I have said I love stories that make me feel while reading. I love that the story feels like a roller-coaster ride, both pleasing and terrifying. 

For the record I DO NOT like coasters except in my books. I am a bit of a chicken. 

(Finished November 19, 2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment