Friday, March 13, 2020

A Good Girl's Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson

This was the Barnes & Noble YA Bookclub book for March. I thought it was kind if funny that it was meeting on Friday the 13th and it was a mystery/murder story. My son goes to the Bookclub at the store I work at as often as he can and he was excited to read this one. Then he started it and he reads an hour a day at least (to earn his screen time) and he was going to split this with a Star Wars Legends book he has. But then not he day he started he he got so into it he lost track of time and read it for over an hour. High praise indeed. He was so into and excited by what he was reading. So when it was time for me to start my next bookI picked it up to see if I was interested and I was hooked instantly.


Pip lives in a town that suffered a horrible incident 5 years before her senior year. Andi, a teenage girl, vanished and was presumed murdered. Her boyfriend Salil killed himself when he is blamed and just before he did he texted a confession to his father. But Pip doesn't think he did it. She knew him and he was always so kind and nice and she couldn't imagine he could do such a thing. This becomes the basis for her senior capstone project, she is going to look into the case and prove Sal is innocent.

Playing amateur sleuth with the help of Sal's brother Ravi she gets into more than she could have imagined. There are twists and turns, clues that could be real or could be red herrings, and suspense. It doesn't take long for her to realize things are not what they seemed at the time and it was all too convenient. Sal's friends, his best friends, changed their story taking away his alibi. Why? Was Andi more than a sweet high school senior? Why would someone want her dead if it wasn't Sal?

A Good Girl's Guide to Murder was a really, really good book! It does exactly what I like in mystery stories, it kept me guessing, made me think I had it figured out a few times, and then even though I was close a few times, it surprised me a little with the ending.

(Finished March 12, 2020)

No comments:

Post a Comment