Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Pages & Co.: The Bookwanderers (Pages & Co. #1) by Anna James


At B&N there is something new happening. It is called The Book of the Month. Each month we will have some featured books to share with customers. A young read or kids book, some fiction, and a non fiction. And as a bookseller I am supposed to share these books with customers. I hope to be able to get truly excited about at least one of them so it is easier to sell. I have a real problem trying to push books I don't believe in. I don't mean selling books I wouldn't read or have no interest in, that happens every day, I mean trying to push customers into books I can't at least share something about with them and maybe even get excited about. Last month there was one, To Shake the Sleeping Self: A Journey from Oregon to Patagonia, and a Quest for a Life with No Regret by Jedidiah Jenkins.

And this month it was this one. I read the back of the book and immediately I was interested. It is a Young Read book. Yes I am in my late 40's but I have no problem reading a "kid's" book if the story is a good one. Plus I can then put good stories into the hands of the kids I work with, for example there was Aru Shah and the End of Time

Can you imagine being able to wander into your favorite books? To meet and chat with your favorite characters? For a brief time to be part of the story? To be a Bookwanderer...That is what Anna James has given us in the first book in her Pages & Co. series. 

Eleven-year-old Tilly lives in a charming bookstore with her grandparents. Her mom vanished when she was a few months old. Things go on pretty normally for her until she meets some interesting "characters" in the shop. Characters that turn out to be Anne (yes that Anne, from Green Gables) and Alice (yep! Wonderland). Then she goes with them into their books. And things begin to change in Tilly's life. 
She learns she is a wanderer and she comes from a long line of wanderers. Along with her friend, her best friend, because he is totally best friend material, Oskar an adventure begins that may just answer the question that has been waiting for an answer for her entire life, what really happened to her mum. 

This book is adventurous, mysterious, exciting, and charming...ABSOLUTELY CHARMING!!!!

I am so thrilled to have sold a lot of these and will continue to hand sell it long after its Book of the Month status is over. And I will read the rest of the series too. 

(Finished March 10, 2020)

No comments:

Post a Comment