Sunday, March 1, 2020

I Am Not Okay With This by Charles Forsman

I read this in one sitting in about a half hour. I read it because my son binged the show on Netflix and then came to the B&N where I work yesterday and found this on the shelf and read it and bought it. I couldn't sleep last night/early this morning and so I watched the show. And I liked it. I loved the character of Stan more than any other and he made the show for me.


This morning we went grocery shopping and were talking about it and my son said he wanted me to read it because it was different than the show. He also raved about it on his Instagram account.


And now here I am posting this about it....I want to say right off the bat, and I am sorry for the spolierish nature of this but I feel like it needs to be said: this could trigger someone affected by content about rape and suicide.


The Netflix show makes this feel like a thriller/ghost story. The book does not but has more the feel of someone dealing with declining mental health. I think maybe Syd (and her dad before her) had some kind of mental illness and this is all part of her symptoms, her impulse control, her moods, and then the ending....

I was very glad to see this as the closing page of the book:


(Finished March 1, 2020)



No comments:

Post a Comment