Sunday, March 29, 2020

House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City #1) by Sarah J. Maas

It took me a stupidly long time to read this book but should not in anyway reflect on how good it was/how much I liked it. Rather with all the news and stress and then getting furloughed because of COVID-19 I couldn't focus. I couldn't tune out the world, the noise, the news. But I got to the point where I had to and just turned it off, put down the phone, ignored the media for a little each day and got my glove back a bit. And was able to read again.

So this is Sarah Maas' new series and it is listed as being Adult Fantasy and not YA like her other outings, Throne of Glass & Court of Thorns and Roses. I will say that if it was me classifying this I would probably still put it with YA. I think the only thing that made it more "adult" was the "sex stuff" which wasn't as much as you might think for a book that was 799 pages long.

The world building, which is often something that can trip up first books, was done well here. It isn't spelled out all at once which can give books a slow start, instead things kind of are explained or told as the story moves on.

I think some people found Bryce a little immature or annoying. I liked her and felt from the beginning the party girl depiction was a mask she was wearing and not really her. Give her time if you don't like her, I think she will grow on you.

Hunt is just..well I loved him!!

There is family drama, magic and fantasy, love, creatures, a mystery, all in all I really liked this a lot and am looking forward to more.

I can't say much more because I don't want to spoil anyone. I will end by saying not everything is what it seems.

(Finished March 29, 2020)

No comments:

Post a Comment