Thursday, May 30, 2019

There's Something About Sweetie (Dimple and Rishi #2) by Sandhya Menon

I was so happy to get back to and finish this book!!! I was drawn to it right away from the blurb inside the cover, as I mentioned in my post about When Dimple Met Rishi and Sandhya nailed it again!!!


While the spine of this story is a romance the ribs and heart are so much more (did I push that too far?). Rishi's brother Ashish (who made his debut in book 1) is the boy part of this pairing. He is trying to revoker from a shattered heart and when a friend suggests he let his parents help pick his next girlfriend since it worked so well for his brother he figures why not, after all at the very least maybe he will get his "mojo" back.

However, the real star of this story is Sweetie. She is so amazing. I know her mother will make you sad and angry but try and hold on, after all Sweetie does it, it is her mother after all. Sweetie is fat. Her words. She has been told her whole life in word and deed and in the media around her, that she isn't good enough. She is smart and pretty and athletic and healthy and a kick-ass runner and a great friend and so very kind and generous, which means she is exactly who she should be proud to be and so should those around her. But it doesn't seem like that is is the case between her and her mother and that is a huge part of Sweetie's coming of age story.


When Ashish's mother picks Sweetie as the one to set him up with, Ashish the super fit and rich and star of the basketball team guy, Sweetie's mom says no way, she is too fat for him and won't allow it. But Sweetie is heartsick and goes behind her mother's back to let Ashish see for himself and decide and they decide to try it out, this dating thing, and what follows is a story of love and healing and family and culture and learning to love the skin you're in no matter what the world wants to tell you that you should be.

I wish I had a book like this back when I was younger. I was always the fat girl. I still feel like a fat girl and struggle with my body. I wish I had an ounce of Sweetie's sass and determination when I was 17.

I LOVED THIS BOOK!!! I LOVE SWEETIE!!!

I want more of Sandhya!!!

(Finished May 30, 2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment