Monday, January 14, 2019

Don't Call Us Dead by Danez Smith

I found this because it come HIGHLY recommended by by friend Danielle. And damn but she was right.

A book of POWERFUL poetry by Danez Smith on race, sexuality, and being diagnosed with HIV.

He writes about the stigma that he feels as a man of color because of his sexuality, he writes about what it is like to be fearful living in the skin you were born with on so many levels, and he writes about what is happening to his body...

I felt some shame while reading this...I often do when I confront the privilege my skin and being straight affords me...and it isn't comfortable but it is important to acknowledge and talk about and work to change, but I think the shame and discomfort is why many white people don't talk about and act when it comes to racism, and that is shameful because pushing past that feeling or pushing past in spite of it, it is the only way to be a true ally.

Anyway, long way around to say that this is a beautiful bearing of his soul....


"hallelujah! today i rode
past five police cars
& i can tell you about it"

(Finished January 14, 2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment