Saturday, January 12, 2019

Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass #3) by Sarah J. Maas

I took a short break from this series to read On The Come Up which I have been waiting for since it was announced and was lucky enough to get my hands on an ARC. And I will have to wait a little before I go on to the next book while I read a book for the Barnes & Noble book club book pick for February. But I am really looking forward to getting back to this story. Three numbered books and a prequel in and I feel invested in the world Maas has created.

Still a badass, Celaena is heading towards her destiny and learning that being a badass doesn't have to mean doing it all alone. Sometimes others know more and can do some things better...team work gets the job done...sort of like a band of dangerous, will kill when they have to, Wonder Pets....

Dorian really stepped up here...and the outcome....wow....
I am finding it hard to muster much sympathy for Chaol but he isn't a total loss, and it seems he is trying to do better and I am all for second chances and redemption.
I really like Rowan, right from the start I was hoping, and not disappointed, hoping that there was more to him....I knew it but learning his story made it satisfying to find out there was indeed....more.
There is a character I am hating that I am starting to like and think there just might be change and redemption coming for.....But depth in characters is better than flat, what you see is what you get types...I guess I will have to wait and see....

These books are effin long...epically long...heavy to take with me when I read and walk long...like Game of Thrones long....but they don't, or at least have not yet, feel like they drag on, which is good...almost 600 pages that feels more like 300 is much better than almost 600 that feels like it might as well be 6000, and I guess I can call it adding weights to my walks.

My biggest hope going forward is that Celaena doesn't become a weak, must have a man to be whole, stereotypical character and continues to grow and be strong but letting others in and help her at the same time, to be deep and real....because women can be badd ass with or without a romantic partner and really DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE a man come to their rescue to get the job done. Partners in adventure are fine, needing a team is fine, but being written as weak and needy isn't....there is a difference and you know it when you read it.


(Finished January 12, 2019)


My thoughts on other books in the series:
Throne of Glass
Crown of Midnight
The Assassin's Blade





No comments:

Post a Comment