Monday, January 28, 2019

Death Prefers Blondes by Caleb Roehrig

Back in July (2018) my son picked up White Rabbit when he was picking books he wanted to buy me for my birthday. And I was formally introduced to the work and Twitter feed of Caleb Roehrig. And I became a fan. Then over the past months of following him and even being lucky enough to interact with him on Twitter I became a total fangirl. He is just wonderful. So I was waiting for his new book, this one, to come out. Then I got lucky, in the right place at the right time, and I was covering a shift for a friend at work and so I was shelving before the store opened, and when I was in the YA section on the cart there just sitting, 2 copies of this book with a bright pink cover with a blonde head on it staring at me and I just knew what I was looking at....days early!!! So I shelved one and put my name on the other to get after my shift ended. And I spent every moment I could this weekend reading it...I was working and had to do stuff (dammit) so I didn't get to devour this gem in one sitting but I would have if I could have. It was soooo good!!

I can't go into details because I don't want to spoil you. So I will say: 
  • there was a time I yelled out loud "Oh no!! Come on!! No!! DAMN!!!!" and my husband looked over and asked if I was ok or if another book was killing me. 
  • There was excitement and jumping out of helicopters and off of towers and hiding in tight places and drag queens, and young love and dealing with people not being open to who you are and so having to pretend you are something else and mystery and grand theft and adventure and just a great wild ride. 
  • At one point I had to stop reading for a moment because I wanted to jump into the book and hug this one character and offer to be his mom and give him mom hugs when ever he needed them and tell him to just be himself and that he was wonderful just as he is and through my tears I had to tweet this sentiment to Caleb. 
  • There was a lot of delicious mystery induced tension throughout the book. 

And I will end by saying I want more adventures with this crew and hope Caleb will revisit them in the future. This group of friends turned family deserves more page time. 

(Finished January 27, 2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment