Wednesday, January 23, 2019

The Truths We Hold: An American Journey by Kamala Harris

I have been hoping that Kamala Harris would run for President. She impressed me when she questioned Kavanaugh. She impresses me every time she speaks. She is straightforward, honest, and comes across as unflappable.

When I heard she had a book coming out I knew I would read it. Then I listened to her on Jonathan Capehart's podcast CapeUp. I was hoping this was a prelude to announcing her run. I got goosebumps listening to her and whooped out loud walking laps at the local mall while listening to the podcast.

I bought this, her book, over this past weekend. But I was going to wait a little to read it since I was so deep into the Throne of Glass series. But then on Monday, MLK Day, she made her announcement...SHE IS RUNNING!!! And so I stopped everything and picked up her book. I would have been done sooner, but I have a cold and yesterday got very little reading done, in my feverish haze I couldn't focus. But I am done and I am even more excited about her!!

The Truths We Hold is part biographical background part vision for the future all while telling us lessons she has learned and what she thinks are some possible solutions. The data she shares on the mental health care and opioid crises are heartbreaking. Sincerity comes off the page loudly when she talks about her mother and her experiences meeting people and her desire to help them and in many cases the help she was able to be to them. You can just feel that she has a real heart for public service and for the right reasons, service to others not to self.

Kamala (comma like the punctuation with a la at the end as she teaches us) Harris is smart, tough, compassionate, and maybe a little fearless....I can't wait to see where her campaign goes, my son and I will be donating and volunteering!!

(Finished January 23, 2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment