Monday, January 14, 2019

The Only Woman in the Room by Marie Benedict

This is the first Barnes and Noble Book Club read of 2019. I have been to all of the previous ones and will be working at running future ones, my friend/coworker Emily is running this one...

It was a very quick read but it was really a very good one too!! I knew very little about it when I started, just that Emily was doing some research because the main character was a real person, I just didn't know who until I started it...HEDY LEMAR!!! The most beautiful actress in her day...but oh was she so much more than a talented pretty face....

I had no idea she was a scientist at heart, that she had a patent granted on an invention of hers that is believed to be what was used to inspire and enable the invention of GPS...yes, you can thank Hedy that your smart phone lets you be tracked everywhere you go!!

But she was Jewish, a mom, and as all women were then, and are pretty much still, she was underestimated and dismissed on the basis of sex...



I was left wanting to know more about her....I have done some digging actually. And she was quite and interesting figure who has their history not as widely reflected in common knowledge as it should be. 


(Finished January 14, 2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment