Monday, June 28, 2021

I Wish You All the Best by Mason Deaver

 2021 Pride Read-A-Thon Book Review:

I Wish You All the Best

💛💛💛💛💛/5💛

I got to meet Mason Deaver in Boston at LeakyCon, something I have a deep personal connection to, and so this feels like a little more of an important and special review. 


I am so filled with feels. My heart is bursting. Everything that happened in these pages at turns shredded me, made me laugh, made me cry, made me cringe, made me angry, and made me grateful. As a mother I was so devastated for Ben. They deserved so much better than they got. As a survivor of childhood trauma I related to their way of judging themself in the light of how their parents treated them. 


Ben comes out to their parents as nonbinary and it doesn’t go well. And that’s an understatement. The road to healing is long and if I’m being honest, as Ben comes to realize, is never ending. There are good days and bad. Good moments and bad. But love is possible, friendships are possible, family is possible, and living is possible. And a valuable lesson for all is that being a parent isn’t a free pass to be a dick and awful. We don’t owe our parents and our children don’t owe us. If you’re abusive and awful you deserve to, the the very least, get left. And if you’re abused you are allowed to say “no more”. 


Thank you Mason for this amazing book. I’m so glad I finally read it and can now better share it as a bookseller and book lover. Oh, and I hate the sand too 😉!




(Finished June 28, 2021)

No comments:

Post a Comment