Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Malice (Malice Duology #1) by Heather Walter

 2021 Pride Read-A-Thon Book Review:

Malice

🥀🥀🥀🥀🥀/5🥀

I wasn’t kidding when I said I have a real love of retellings. I just finished another. This one is is really deep and complex!! It’s a Sleeping Beauty retelling. And it’s the first in a duology, which means I’m now anxious to learn what happens to Alyce. I feel like I’m repeating myself, but I really and truly loved this adventure. Even in the moments it gutted me and broke my heart. 

Alyce isn’t all good. She may have been if things had turned out differently, if other choices been made, by her and those who came before her. She isn’t all bad either, or at least she didn’t start out that way. What makes a monster or a villain? Do we become one if we are told often and violently enough that we are unlovable, ugly, worthless? Alyce falls for Aurora. And it just might be mutual. But for her entire life Alyce has been brutally told how disgusting she is. This shapes her choices. And changes her, in some really jaw dropping ways. 

Clever, heartbreaking, and a warning about what we do to each other, what can be done to us, and the harm that can come from not being cared for because we are seen as “different.”




(Finished June 23, 2021)

No comments:

Post a Comment