Thursday, January 17, 2013

Hamlet’s Blackberry: A Practical Philosophy for Building a Good Life in the Digital Age By William Powers

I am a little slow in reviewing this, it was 2 books ago. I read it for The Art Of Being Human (my humanities class for Spring 2012).
The book basically says we are such a connected society through our gadgets and screen time and debates if this is good and how to balance it. Powers uses examples from his life as well as 7 men who could be seen as ahead of their time in relation to the gadgets of their day, Socrates, Seneca, Gutenberg, Shakespeare, Ben Franklin, Thoreau, and Marshall McLuhan.
 
I found myself both agreeing and disagreeing with parts of Powers theories. But over all I found it interesting and fairly enjoyable.

(read April 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment